BLU PRO KIT INTRO
Blu Cigs have been producing e-cigs for several years now. Most of their e-cigs are either cig-a-like’s or vape pens designed for beginners.
Is the Blu Pro Kit any better than the previous model or is it just more of the same, only bigger? Here we take a closer look…
PACKAGING & DESIGN
The Blu Electronic Cigarette Pro Kit comes in a fairly basic yet nicely presented plastic box.
Inside you’ll find the 950mAh battery, a clearomiser with a replaceable coil, a USB charger and a 10ml bottle of Classic Tobacco E-Liquid (18mg strength).
The device itself is sleek. In fact, I’d go so far to say that it’s the best looking vape pens I’ve come across.
A black matte finish gives the unit a nice feel to it as well. There is a fire button on the side, which is also used to switch it on and off.
The overall aesthetic and quality looks good, and the addition of a blue glowing triangle at the base of the unit is a nice touch too.
Let take a look at the functionality…
- 1 x blu PRO™ Rechargeable Device
- 1 x blu PRO™ Clearomiser
- 1 x blu PRO™ USB Cord
The Blu Pro is a very simple pen to use. There’s no variable wattage, variable voltage, or temperature control, so you don’t have to worry about any complicated settings. Simply assemble it out of the box and you’re good to go.
Instead of a 510 connector, the Blu Pro utilises an EGO thread, which works with a plethora of clearomisers, atomisers, and tanks available in the market from various brands.
Yes, that’s right, you’re not restricted to only using Blu’s batteries. You can buy separate batteries that are compatible and most will work. Do double check first though!
There’s only one button to fire the unit, and the same button is used to turn on/off the device via five successive clicks. The fire button is responsive, with no discernible delay, and gives a satisfying click.
Not much else can be said about the functions and features of the Blu Pro save that it does what it’s supposed to with little fuss.
Moving on to the battery…
The Blu Pro is powered by a massive (for a vape pen) 950 mAh internal battery. This added capacity means
that the device is larger than other vape pens, but it also means prolonged battery life. Moderate use will net you a day’s worth of vaping, which is really good for a unit this size.
One downside is that charging requires you to remove the tank since the EGO thread acts as the charging point as well. This means you won’t be able to vape while charging.
You can buy extra batteries if this is an issue. There are two battery sizes available: 950mAh and 650mAh. I did notice the battery performance drop significantly after a couple of months of use. Therefore, it may be worth getting yourself a back up if you plan to use this long-term.
The tank that comes with the kit has the same black matte finish as the battery, which makes for a streamlined look. There are two small windows so you can see the juice level, with a small blue triangle on one side.
The tank has a capacity of 1.8ml and filling it is a breeze. You simply unscrew the top part of the tank from the base, and fill it by letting your e-juice slide down the side of the tank wall.
The atomiser coil is replaceable, but they seem to be hard to come by. After a couple months’ use the clearomiser started to leak so I decided I’d replace the coil, but I couldn’t find one easily.
You can buy a new tank if you want, but it’s a more expensive option and defeats the purpose of having replaceable coils.
Also, I found these clearomisers to be a very hit and miss. Some last a good few weeks while others didn’t last so long.
- Leakage After Heavy Use – The cartomiser leaks after heavy use, prompting a replacement
- Battery performance dropped – Worked well at first, but performance dropped after a couple of months
- Charging Port Placement Not Ideal – Using the EGO thread to charge the device means you can’t vape while charging
- Clearomisers Hit and Miss – Some last long and work well, while others don’t last long
- Unreliable – Because of the dropped performance of both tank and battery, you might be better served using a different starter kit
- Replacements Aren’t Cheap – Reliability issues could have been addressed somewhat by cheap replacements, but this is not the case
- Easy to Fill – No fuss filling is always a plus
- Sleek Design – One of the best looking vape pens in my opinion
- Good Performance – For the first few months the Blu Pro performed great
- 950mAh battery – Rarely seen in vape pens nowadays
- Good Vapour Production – Surprisingly good for a vape pen, but this depends on the type of e-juice used
SHOULD YOU GET THE BLU PRO KIT?
The Blu Pro Kit is a step above the usual starter kits available, with added battery life and a 1.8ml tank.
Overall design is sleek and good looking, while the performance is good for the price. However, after a few months, things start to decline, from battery performance to leaks in the tank.
Replacements are hard to come by, and are a bit expensive as well. While the Blu Pro is fantastic at first, given time, everything falls apart.